August 23, 2009

Letter to ignorance

Dear Ignorance,
I looked past it when a friend said it many moons ago. I look past it when a family member said it not so long ago. I looked past the way the wheels in strangers minds turn when they are wondering about it when I tell them that I have an honours degree in Women’s Studies. So why do I bother to write about it now? I’m tired of looking past it.
I dress comfortably and I’m somewhat of a tomboy. Yea that’s what happens when one grows up with 3 older brothers. I’m not into wearing purses especially when pockets will do. I do my make-up only when I feel like it. I don’t shave my legs until I want to. I don’t have a boyfriend because I don’t want one. I majored in Women’s Studies because finally I found something that relates to me and challenges my way of thinking. I have mostly women friends because they have become family. MY LIFE DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND MEN!!! Does that make me a lesbian??
What does calling me a lesbian actually get you? Is it your way of trying to scare me into conformity? Do you want me to adhere to some fucked up notion of what it means to be a woman? Does it matter that I don’t have a man to latch onto? What if I said I was a lesbian? Then what? Does it matter to you if I say I’m not? What is the problem here? Is my sexuality in question or do you not have enough things in your own life to worry about?
Would you rather me be by myself or have a fucking monster in my life that hits me, cheats on me, and treats me like shit? Well, you and I both know what you have chosen for yourself. And I have chosen what is right for me at this point in my life. Before you think of questioning my sexuality again, think about where your own has gotten you.
Has an entire social movement been lost on women like you who think that the presence or absence of a man defines any part of yourself? I refuse to answer any question you have about my sexuality because, frankly, it is none of your fucking business!!!
I leave you with this bit of advice that I have found very useful to me over the years. The late, great Bob Marley said “emancipate yourself from mental slavery...none but ourselves can free our mind.” I beg of you to rid your mind of ignorance and realize that there is a great big world out there if you choose to look past the men who are blocking your view.

1 comment:

~kitty~ said...

You took the words right out of my mouth! I am in the same boat is you on people comparing me to them and in reality I like who I am a whole lot better. I dont need the same things most other women do, and for once in my life I really understand and value my female friendships. (You should FB this!!)